Ever need a name tag... well here is a quick and easy tutorial to make one that represents you and your personality. When it comes to making a name tag there is no right or wrong. It is an expression of you, so create whatever makes you happy.
1. Choose your size and cut out front and back pieces, batting, and any other scraps for decoration.
Front and Back - For this particular name tag, the finished size is 3" by 4". Cut two pieces 3.5" by 4.5" to account for 1/4" seam allowances.
Batting - Cut the batting to the finished size, which is 3" by 4" in this case.
I chose to decorate mine with waves, so I cut oversized strips for each wave. I cut narrow strips of double stick fusible web to apply to the top edges of the waves to prevent the edges from curling up or fraying.
2. Trim the edges of each decorative piece (waves in this case or whatever pattern you choose) with the desired design while holding the adhesive in place.
Since I only had to trim them a little into the shape of a wave, my adhesive strips are very narrow. The size of your strips may vary depending on the design. I chose not to apply it to the whole piece because it would add too much bulk. It is really only necessary to give the edges some stability.
3. Iron them in place and top stitch each piece. Lift up the bottom edge of each piece, trim and remove the extra fabric underneath. If not, in this case I would have 4 layers of fabric which would make quilting difficult. Trim the edges to the right size.
4. Embroider your name however you prefer. I used a fine tip disappearing ink marking pen to mark my name first and used that as a guideline.
5. Center the batting behind the front piece and quilt as preferred.
**Different option: If you would like to bind your name tag, layer the back, batting and top before quilting and then add the binding like you would a quilt.
6. Add the backing right side together with the front. Stitch with a 1/4" seam allowance around the edge leaving a 2" opening on the bottom.
7. Trim the corners and turn your name tag right side out. Be sure to push out the corners (a chopstick works great for this). Press with an iron and hand stitch the opening closed.
8. Sew on a brooch pin back and voila! You have fun name tag that is all you!
Here is a collage of name tags found on Flickr to help jumpstart your imagination and give you some inspiration.
1. name tag, 2. Sew It Together Name Tag unmasked!, 3. Name Tag, 4. Name Tag for the Sewing Summit, 5. Sewn by Leila Name Tag, 6. A Special Name Tag., 7. Name tag --finally!, 8. Super Mini Quilt Name Tag, 9. Name Tag!, 10. Sewing Summit Name Tag, 11. Hello, my name is..., 12. Sewing Machine Name Tag, 13. Embroidered Name Tag, 14. Sew It Together name tag, 15. Officially Official, 16. My Name Tag for Sew It Together yay!
Have fun and happy sewing!